SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – A Springfield man injured in a house fire last month died Tuesday morning, according to officials.
Thirty-one-year-old Derrick Pelliccio died this morning at Mercy Hospital, nearly one month after his home on Mount Vernon Street ignited in a blaze.
Investigators say Pelliccio along with 28-year-old Rachel Purcell were sleeping when one of the three children used a butane lighter to set fire to the bed. Both Pelliccio and Purcell evacuated the residence but both suffered burn injuries. The children included a 5-year-old girl, a 2-year-old boy and a 1-year-old boy.
According to officials, Purcell remains in the hospital.